Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Orphan


This one perplexes me. I have the book 642 Things To Draw. The book is full of pages with empty boxes with a drawing prompt tucked in the corner. This one was labeled Orphan. 
I saw that word and was riveted to it. Both my parents had recently passed. Even though the word 'orphan' typically refers to a child, and I am well into late adulthood, I felt the weight of that word. My parents are gone.
I decided to draw me, the orphan.
It happened that the mirror I had set-up was elevated from where I sat. I paid no particular attention to this until I finished my sketch. By drawing myself looking up, I seemed to have drawn a young version of myself--which was quite unintended! Without being aware of it, I had drawn the child in me who misses her parents.


No comments:

Post a Comment